Sunday, February 27, 2011


I found this blog a few weeks ago. EDC stands for Every Day Carry. I travel light compared to some I have seen.;-)

Friday, February 25, 2011

Joiner Setup

I replaced the joiner blades as the final set up before the cabinet run. I watched all kinds of video where guys used dial indicators with magnetic jigs. I set it up the old fashion way with a pencil and a piece of wood. It took way to long to get the baldes out.After a few cut fingers and one false hope that I was done which left the blades about 1/32 too low .I think I finally have it dialed in.
The flash seems to have obscured the pencil marks on the oak .Hopefully one gets the idea. I checked each blade(3) in three places. I also learned that the small screws on the left of the barrel should not be touched until you are ready for the final adjustment .I bottomed them out to get the blades out .BIG MISTAKE!!!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011


I have been asked what I am using to make these doors. My trusty post war 10 in Craftsman ( with a new 1 HP Baldor). I think its about as old as me. Various miter boxes. A 6 " joiner and a small router table. I am borrowing my sons router table so once I get every thing set up I won't have to change bits as often

Monday, February 21, 2011

Door prototype

I spent a few hours ripping and routing a few profiles and this is what I came up with that was agreeable to the "BIG BOSS".
The new doors are going to be made out of poplar because everything is going to be painted . The wood is a bit harder than pine and holds paint well.The prototype was just made from some scrap pine.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fire hazard removed

For years I wondered and worried why I had a plastic dryer vent in the ceiling.When I pulled the ceiling down I knew why .There were at least 4 pipes of varying sizes that ran perpendicular to the vent.
After relocating a few fixtures upstairs and rerouting a few pipes down stairs I was able to hard pipe the dryer to the out side wall.
Not as dramatic as a few other things I could show but at least I got rid of one of the biggest fire hazards in the house.
The old vent is hanging down below the joist on the right of the lower picture.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Just a few more days

If the weather continues to moderate I figure the 6 inches of ice will be gone from the fruit trees in about three days.Then I can start my winter pruning.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Parts are in

Had to have a a metal plug fabricated .The welder recommended Aluminium.
I'll put it all together in the Morning.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 The Integral Urban House: Self-Reliant Living in the City (9780871562135): Farallones Institute, Sim Van der Ryn: Books The Integral Urban House: Self-Reliant Living in the City (9780871562135): Farallones Institute, Sim Van der Ryn: Books: "- Sent using Google Toolbar"

I read a lot of blogs on sustainability and gardening. This book has been my guiding light for a very long time.

Stove repair

I have been heating the back of my house with this stove for 22 yrs. I noticed a crack in the cast iron about a month ago .It has taken me that long to call all over the world to get the replacement part.Unfortunately the new piece is not cast the same way . It has two openings instead of one .The piece is at the welders getting a plug made .The manufacturer is not casting the plug any longer.
More to follow.
The nipple has to be screwed on and then everything gets cemented and the stove pipe can be hooked up
It may not be very green but I'm burning American anthracite instead of Arabian crude.