Friday, August 1, 2008

58 lbs bass

My friend Dutch just stopped by to see how I was doing after the double hernia repair .He told me that some young kid just learning to free dive in the Sluiceway, the body of water between Plum Island and Great Gull Island had the catch of his lifetime .
It wasn't the poundage but the fact that after he surfaced after a drift he notice a lot of splashing near him. As he swam toward the commotion he saw as seal circling a bass .Apparently the seal put a bight or two into the bass .According to Dutch the seal was about the size of the bass .He apparently stunned him .
When the seal saw the diver he bolted leaving the stunned bass floating on the surface The diver picked up the fish and took him home for sale
I know nothing other than what I just relayed to you all .I don't know any more about it .Maybe some of my fisher friend ,bloggers will know more than this to share with us all

2 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

I have a bumper sticker on my truck.

It reads:

I FISH
THEREFORE
I
LIE
I strongly suspect that the story might have been stretched a bit.

crowldawg said...

Frank you are probably correct .Dutch is not known for hyperbole and everything fits except the actual occurance . If the person doesn't want the publicity because they made $250 keeping one of the local restaurants feed with fresh Wild Striped Bass we will never know .
Just another fish story