Saturday, May 10, 2008

when it rains it pours





It all started on Monday .I went to mow the lawn and one of the blades was loose .I called my son ,Ian, to come over and help me lift op the lawn tractor on end to remove the blade .Upon his arrival things went great until he try to remove the nut for the blade .The shaft that holds the blade snapped .Luckily I had a replacement shaft left over from the last repair. While Ian was pressing in the new shaft I tried to retrieve the frozen nut.I ground down the shaft to give it some flat sides and placed it in my bench vise .I tightened down the bolt and went to get a wrench. Boooom! the vise just disintegrated. Well it just broke in half . No clue why .
I looked all week long for a replacement .I wanted to buy American but I found that the American vises start at $600 and go to well over $2000.I just couldn't justify that kind of cost so I went for my sentimental favorite and bought a new Craftsman 6in. vice .I hope it keeps Sears alive for a few more days .
I put it in today .I'd love to talk about its effortless ability to tighten down what ever one is working on ,but I cant .There is no difference between the old yard sale find and this craftsmen.
When I went to put the cardboard in the recycling there it was on the side of the box.This product was brought to you my Sears and Roebuck MADE in CHINA (actually it was in the fine print .At least I tried to help the balance of payments

2 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

sounds like you were not intended to cut the grass... Good luck finding anything still made in America... oh wait, you Airstream... it was and is made in America.

crowldawg said...

Your right Frank .I keep forgetting that most of my carpentry tools are Makita .I love them .I stopped buying Milwakee saws years ago they were ( are ) horrible .
I think thats one of the reasons I started to collect old stanley tools .The new ones are not made in Ct. any more .You can't beat a properly sharpened Diston saw .I'm still learning how to sharpen them but I will.
I get a kick out of the salesman when you go to buy pipe .I complained about the price of a few Brass fitting for the Aistream .He said I can't help it ,The chinese are buying up everything .Why wouldn't they .China was stamped on it