Sunday, April 13, 2008

My fruit trees




I've had fruit trees for 30 years or so .I planted these when we built the house in 1988. Over the years they produced some great fruit but I ignored them for about 10 yrs. About 5 yrs ago with renewed vigor i started to replace the dead ones and slowly prune back the overgrown trees to a manageable size .I also became interested in a form of intensive fruit culture called Backyard Orchard Culture.This morning I finally finished pruning the trees .I even got a coat of dormant oil on the trees . At last count I have 20 tress.ranging in age from 23 to 2 yrs .Hopefully to produce for many years to come
I save the trimmings in a pile way out in the back.That way I have a limited supply of fruit wood to make my "locally" famous smoked bluefish. I have also used some of the larger limbs to "turn" new handles for my growing collection of old chisels.

No comments: