Sunday, April 6, 2008

April is the creulest month

T.S.Eloit ,said that once and I'm sure in another context but I don't think he ever lived on the east end of Long Island. What makes this such a great place for growing things ,especially potatoes is the fact that we have so many frost free days .I used to know the number but I can't find it. It's about 200 days .
The rest of the east coast has had their early plants bloom and go already .Out hear the forsythia is just starting to bloom .
The main reason for this is the water .I'm sure the bays are in the low 40's .The wind has been blowing from the S.E directly off of the ocean .We won't get any frosts for a while but when that wind blows the air is going to be what ever the water temp is .
It was down right miserable outside today .Yesterday when the sun finally came out it was beautiful .Today I had my heaviest winter coat on .The dampness was just cutting through me .

3 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

not to brag, but I am nursing a minor sunburn from working in the blazing sun yesterday, here in Maryland. The temperature was 72 on the old barn termometer... My green gauge plum tree has passed peak bloom, and is heading south now. Sure wish I would have seen some bees during it's bloom. Hang in there, spring is coming.

Syd said...

Tom,
Worked in the yard yesterdy 4/12/2008 it was 72 out, thats to hot for me. I took the garden fence down and put it in storage untill the yard gets graded.

The tree farm on long Island hasn't called me back yet and the other fruit tree company that stated the trees would ship in 72 hours havent delivered either. Is it gettin to late to plant?

crowldawg said...

Syd ,It was a wopping 49 here in the afternoon .Never really saw the sun .You still have 2-3 weeks to plant .Of course earlier is better .I still have 3 more trees to arrive.If you don't hear from either by weeks end give them a call