Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sorry Syd


This year is my friend Dutch and I's 10th attempt at perfection .Friday morning we mixed some ground pork shoulder ,salt and pepper, Marjoram,a few other secret herbs and not enough garlic .We squeezed it into natural skins with a 3 lbs. sausage horn and out comes fresh Kielbasa. 40 lbs of it .20 for each .I never agree on the amount of garlic and this years batch is lacking the overpowering flavor that makes it kielbasa .
This winter Uncle Tony Malinauskas died .For years he kept the old traditions going.In Spring we would gather at his for a feast and dig Horseradish roots for easter dinner .Fall was always sauerkraut and all kind of pickles
Colin and I had mentioned that we would continue it because Tony had not been up to it for a few years .
Well its continuing closer to his house and yesterday about 15-20 guys gathered at my old bosses house to grind the roots .
These roots were purchased.Tony's old crop is gone and no one has the space in their garden to devote to it .
Horseradish can also be a weed so you have to be careful where you put it .
I tried growing it years ago but my ground was just too heavy and all I got was tops and some puny roots
Today will be the big test .I'll bring a ring or two for Easter dinner and my father in law will tell me that the kielbasa and horseradish is not as good as his mother in laws .She died 40 years ago and who know the last time she made any thing for easter
I'll agree with Pop this year .The roots are too mild and there isn't enough garlic in the kielbasa
There is always next year !!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Syd said...

Tom,
I only have two jars left. I went to Janicks in Mamwah to purchase the Kilbasa and horseradish for Easter but still not as good as yours.

crowldawg said...

Thanks El, this years horseradish doesn't have the atomic pop like last years .I believe its because we used a food proceesorlast year instead of a blender
Next year I'm using fresh crushed galic .I've had it with the jarred stuff .Its tasteless.I want that kiebasa to be smeeled around the neighborhood