Sunday, April 27, 2008

Catch and Release fishing

I'm sitting down in Texas. The wedding is turning out to be a four day event .This AM as I wait for the household to wake.I do my usual surfing
I don't know who reads this shit if any one, but because all my projects are 1800 miles away, I'll ask a question and see if any one "bites".
What about fishing out of season ? Some people are adamant about it under the heading of catch and release .
Yes I practice catch and release fishing all the time when the species is in season.I know I might be splitting hairs but I think there is a big difference between catching fish all day when in season and putting pressure on the fish all year long and claiming you are letting them go .
Granted this is not always an issue with may salt water species.The seasons are usually set based on when the fish are in our waters. What about the fish that are here year round ? If the law allows catch and release fine but if the season is from April 15 to Dec. 15 ,I don't think one should be out there trying to catch fish days or weeks before the season starts or ends .
I copied this off of the DEC web site,"Taking and Possession of Fish
A person may not fish for a species (not even catch and release) during the closed season for that species on a given water"
I'll always have that image imprinted on my brain of a striped bass I caught years ago "in season" on a diamond jig.It was about 20" long ,24" was the legal limit .It had swallowed the jig and I did everything I could to remove the jig .No luck .It was dead .It also was 4 in. too short, so I threw it back, dead .I wasn't being a boy scout .I was illegal to have undersize fish in one possession.
I'm sure that happens a thousand times a day during the season it shouldn't happen at all out of season.
I'm sure if i get any responses they will argue about choice of gear.Flys ,barbless hooks etc .
I'm the X gillnetter who fly fishes now by choice.

4 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

Tom, I have been in that same situation more than a few time. Undersized fish, dead due to me... I have taken a different approach. If the fish had to give it's life, I feel it should sustain mine. I only keep what I will eat. I do not believe in stocking the freezer. When ever I have gut hooked and cannot revive the fish I keep it. I figure I will take my chances with the warden if I am ever stopped. Waste not want not. I do want to say, I would never take a fish out of season or under sized on purpose.

crowldawg said...

It just bothers me that people fish out of season and claim they are releasing the fish .The law is not always clear about it and it should be .Not in season don't fish for it period.
It may sound jaded but I haven't eaten a frozen fish in years

crowldawg said...

I apologize for my warm milk response
This whole thing started as a thinly veiled arguement against catching striped bass out of season .
If the season is closed one has no business trying to catch fish.
The guys that are out there catching and releasing bass out of season would have you believe it was a capital offense to catch the venerable fish commercially .
I would argue that at least commercially caught fish are eaten by someone.

Syd said...

I've met a man i haven't talked to in 20 years. Leigh Pratt one thing lead to another and i told him one of my daughters had moved to Park Ridge, NJ. Next day he shows up and gives me a few news papers to keep from Park Ridge 1896.

Listed under leagle matters a man was fined $10.00 dollars for catching a trout out of season in the Pascack creek. What would $10.00 dollars be 102 years later?

Tom please do the math I can't